Wednesday, July 1, 2009

1st work experience

I have been working at K.H cumulatively for about a week now.


What I had to do?

Bring food from the kitchen counter to the tables

Wipe tables

Clear dishes after people were done dining

Hand out menus

Scoop rice and soup

Wash table cloth

Occasionally just helping out with itsy bitsy restaurant-keeping


What was the work experience like?

Walking to and fro from the kitchen to the tables

Washing my hands at least 15 times in one work day

Struggling to hear and comprehend the numbers being muttered in Cantonese by the fellow workers

(boy, was that heart pumping each time as I would worry that I

1. won't understand and look like a fool

2. think that I got the right number but actually heard it all wrong, serve it to the wrong table and STILL look like a fool)


Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. I think it was the best 1st work experience any one could ever get. Here comes the part where I am spoiled.


I get yummy AND free meals for both lunch and dinner. (The first dinner I had there was the best. We had minced pork with potato which reminded me of my childhood meals.) I work few hours but get a great pay and sometimes even EXTRAS which I don't deserve. Plus, ALL T's aunts and uncles are super nice.


Overall, it was a new and interesting experience.

I definitely wouldn't mind working there.

One thing is for sure, I am a part-time employee who is spoiled-rotten :D


On my second day of work, I had some improvement though I was still very blur at a few instances.

I nearly poured chicken soup into a bowl of curry mee. Wrong tong. Whoops :p

Luckily, no major spills on anyone. Fewh. That would've been nasty. Way way nasty.


Anyway, work wasn’t too tiring or traumatising. All's good. :)


I now have a major appreciation for people who stack up their dishes after eating and do not put bones, and food leftovers on the table.


M


Footnotes:

I need to buck up on my Canton. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment