Tuesday, August 18, 2009

was one career option

Am currently volunteering at j&j kindy for a week as a teacher assistant

1st day at work

I stood behind the crowd of the little children during assembly
All the children were extremely curious as to who this new big kid was. They kept turning their heads. And i guessed they spread the news to their fellow little friends, as one by one more heads were turned. I felt so bad for being a minor distraction to what was going on in front.

So i thought of something...
Instead of acting like I didn't see them fixing their eyes on me, I waved at each one of them that looked at me and I smiled
As a natural reaction for kids (or just people in general), when caught doing something they're not supposed to, they shied away after giving a timid wave back by turning to the front.

Genius eh? ;)

I was assigned to Hummingbird. 5 yr olds.

ALL the children were delightful and adorable. MAXIMUM. Some boys were more mischevious than others, of course. But that made them even more cute and lovable. (not for the parents though)

My first shocking-amusing encounter for the day:
I went to the toilet to check up on the kids
This little boy who was about to enter the cubicle came out when he saw me, in plain honesty and innocence said,
"Cheche, you have a nice face"
For a second, I couldn't find the reply to come up with. I was stunned.
Finally, I just laughed and said, "After you're done, dont forget to wash your hands alright!" and walked out of the toilet with a big grin.

Later on I found out that the boy was a student in the class I was assigned to for the day. What are the odds?

Halfway throughout class, (still kept getting stares every now and then) the boy turned his head towards me and out of no where said,
"Wo xi huan ni"

HAHAH! Again, he caught me off guard. I couldn't help but laugh. Then in a joking manner, I messed his hair and said "Wo ye xi huan ni" and laughed again. LOL. What was I to say?

The children were of all sorts.
Some were outspoken, some timid.
Some were hyperactive & energetic, some were shy-lethargic
There were hungry children, clumsy & charismatic ones.
I saw born leaders, independent and eager to be class head.
Present were ones who couldn't care less about what was the lesson, while there were also attentive ones, actively participating.
Bossy there were, animated & inquisitive too.

I had a great time working with the kids and it was an extremely joyful time for me.

We had assembly where we sang songs and had announcements
Mandarin and english class
DancePerformance class
Art class

Hours were short
8.45am-12pm

I was talking to one of the office admin who has been working there since I was one year of age. Boy, kindy fees these days are quite costly. Cumulatively about 3 grand per year.

2nd day
I missed my alarm and overslept. Damn it.
I was really disappointed. Sigh.
Worst part was that a few teachers fell sick so there was a staff shortage. I could have been a big help. But stupid me overslept.

No comments:

Post a Comment